Many articles on SEO usually advice new webmasters to enlist the services of a professional SEO expert consulting in order to increase the chances of success. Unfortunately, this does not always apply to all cases. That being said, the following are a few things to consider before hiring a professional SEO consultant.
1. What type of domain do you own?
It will take a long time for a new domain to gain good SERP rankings on major search engines. This therefore means that you should invest in a professional SEO consultant if you want to expedite the ranking process. A reputable consultant will tell you that you must not have unrealistic expectations for a new domain because it usually takes the better part of a year before you start seeing the fruits of SEO. On the other hand, high organic traffic is more easily gained from aged domains. In that respect, you are better off buying an established domain over hiring a consultant if you want a lot of organic traffic for the product or service you are selling.
2. What kind of site do you own?
The kind of website you run will determine whether or not you need a professional SEO consultant. You should only hire a consultant if your website has a high probability of recouping this initial investment. Sites that fit these criteria are those in sales based niches, contain a lot of relevant content and have an old domain with quality backlinks. This is because the right reason for hiring a professional SEO consultant is to help in tapping into the full potential of your website and not to help you make money from any idea. In this case, a professional SEO consultant will help in the following:
- Tracking down converting long tail keywords.
- Developing content optimized for different search engines.
- Creating a better link building strategy.
- Using scripts to take advantage of traffic from all locations etc.
This therefore means that you should spend a lot of time to develop the concept of your website before bringing in a professional SEO consultant.
3. How much are you willing to spend?
A highly qualified professional SEO consultant tends to be expensive. This means that you should only hire one if your business plan and finances allow for it. This is because over and above the fees that the consultant will charge you, you will also need to spend money in the following areas:
- Content creation – A consultant will advise you to hire freelancers to regularly create content for you if you are not in a position to do so by yourself.
- Buying text links – Many established sites usually allow webmasters to buy text links in certain pages. A good consult may make a list of reputable websites for you to buy such. In some cases, a consultant will have a text link package for a fixed rate e.g. 500 text links for $1000 per month.
In a nutshell, you should only hire a professional SEO consultant if you are looking for a way to generate more conversions from an already established website.